Thursday, November 30, 2006

 

HIV/AIDS incidence up since start of war

Health
Iraq has traditionally had one of the lowest incidences of HIV/AIDS in the Middle East. This started to slowly change after the US-led invasion in 2003 brought hundreds of foreigners into the country, opening the doors for the spread of the virus, health workers say. The Baghdad-based AIDS Research Centre said that new cases are appearing monthly and with the current chaos in the public health services, patients might suffer severely with the lack of appropriate medicines.
Nearly 100 Iraqis with AIDS have registered with the centre but authorities believe that about twice this number exist who have not registered. Um Khalid (not her real name) caught the virus from her husband, who frequently had sexual relations with sex workers. After discovering his disease, he left his wife with three young children and travelled abroad.
"I am one of the many victims of HIV in Iraq. My husband betrayed me. At least if he had used condoms with the prostitute, I would not be sick today. This is a common problem in Iraq because men here believe they are immune to the disease. I worry for the hundreds of young men who think like this and will be the next victims of the prostitutes who contaminate my country."
"I don't worry if I die because it will be my destiny. But I just think about my children who will become orphans without anyone to take care of them. My [extended] family has abandoned us, saying that my disease could be passed on to other family members and [they believe] my children are sick for sure. I know it is hard in a Muslim country like Iraq to speak about condoms and sexual relations out of marriage, but it is the reality in the country and the government should do more to prevent young people having the same destiny that I now have."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?